09 May 2009

Mayonnaise, Curry Ketchup, Samurai, Andalouse, Provencale, Cocktail, Americaan...

There is a saying here that I've heard a few times that you know you've been in Brussels too long if you can name 7 sauces for Frites. Being the center of the European Union and many NGOs it is incredibly common for people to live here for a few months or a year and then return to another place. As you can see, I have no problem naming seven sauces.

I'm incredibly sad to be leaving Belgium in just a few days. I really love it here, and I'm sad to leave a place that means so much to me, especially when I don't know if or when I'll be back. This has really been a great experience. I've learned so much, and I know that there is still so much more to learn in Brussels but, alas, all good things have to come to an end.

4 months ago I was sitting on a plane wondering if I was prepared for the challenge of living in a foriegn city. I'm proud to say that I have succeeded in this, and tasks that seemed daunting to me before now seem so simple.

Though I am sad to leave, I need to focus on the adventures that lay ahead. Tuesday I leave for a short bit of travel through Norway, Austria, and Slovenia (with one day in Trieste, Italy). Summer is big question mark (but what could be a greater adventure then the completely unknown?). I have my senior year ahead of me, and graduation next May.

I'm off to go pick up my dear little bro and my good friend Anna from the airport. I can't wait to show them around Brussels, and then run around Europe with them!

Thanks for reading my blog over the past few months! Sorry I've been bad at updating! This is the last update for now, though I promise to post stories and pictures of Norway, Austria, and Slovenia once I get home!

Much Love,

Em

3 comments: